[dba-SQLServer] Backup/Restore Question

Clay Passick Clay.Passick at minneapolis.edu
Thu Aug 18 11:43:36 CDT 2005

Hi to all

I am trying to restore a database from a server file backup.  I do not
have a backup through SQL Server as it is a database in development and
not production at this point.   Is there a way to take the restored from
backup files of database A
(A_data.mdf and A_log.ldf) and rename those files as B_data.mdf and
B_log.ldf and restore them to a newly created database B.  I don't want
to restore over this database in development just retrieve a table or
two.  Everything I have tried at this point either errors out or looks
like it will overwrite the original database because it knows that
originally it was database A.

Clay