[dba-SQLServer] importing Access data

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 19 11:57:31 CDT 2005

Hi Susan:

I am going through a similar event. The only difference is the source
database is a legacy DB. I puzzled over what would be the best method and
decided on writing a full set of queries and DTS import routines which will
extract and manipulate the data out of the existing database and into the MS
SQL. Most is done from the SQL end.

When the testing is completed I will move the client over in an evening and
they will run in parallel for a month and then drop the old system. (The FE
is also going to be new; starting from a DOS based DB named Clarion to
ASP.Net)

To make a long story short, build, test and automate the import routines,
using the backup data and then run the data import yourself. This is because
if any data in the old system is wrong... missing keys, missing records and
has records with bad-data... (even since your latest backup test data) the
import will crash with no one to help.

HTH
Jim