[dba-SQLServer] Starting an ASP.NET Project (may be OT)

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 16:15:20 CST 2005

Ron,

I feel your pain. The IT departments have learned over the years of PC domination that they'd better hold their cards closer to the vest.

I can't answer your questions directly, but maybe my indirect answers will be of help and the folks that know more than me can make it more official-sounding.

I'm writing an ASP.NET application using a SQL Server 2000 back end. I've installed the .NET Framework and IIS on my system along with all the other .NET stuff (about 1.5 GB of it!) that came with Visual Studio .NET 2003. When I'm developing the application on my workstation I can, of course, test and debug it using the full-bore SQL Server connection. My client uses CrystalTech as his web host and SQL Server host and it works out well.

But when I publish the application to the target web site, I just use WS_FTP Pro and copy it to a folder off of his root directory. I KNOW that the path isn't the same as the one on my PC; but that doesn't seem to affect the application. As I say, I've just copied the files and Front Page folders to the application directory. Then I used the CrystalTech IIS management tool to designate that folder as an Application Starting Point, they call it. I believe that's a virtual directory. The path for the app on my system is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Myapp\Myapp. On the CrystalTech site it's D:\inetpub\Userweb\Myapp.

I hope that helps. And good luck moving to ASP.NET. I think that the more you've worked with creating your own classes the better off you'll be. Of course, SQL Server stuff is de rigeur. There's lots to learn about the way ASP.NET handles web pages and "state" and server memory.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI