[dba-SQLServer] Placing indexes in a specific file

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 23 20:32:15 CST 2005

Yes please.

Thanks,

http://folding.stanford.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Michael
Maddison
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:25 PM
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [dba-SQLServer] Placing indexes in a specific file

John,

I've got a PPT presentation from Unisys that talks about filegroups and a
lot of other interesting tidbits to do with how best to set up the physical
database.  If you like I can send it direct to jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com?

cheers

Michael M

Can a database be spread over more than one filegroup?  If so, then I create
a file group that is just a single file, i.e. filegroup1 is datafile1,
filegroup2 is datafile2 etc.  Then I can intentionally move a table to a
specific filegroup and get it in a specific file (disk)

http://folding.stanford.edu/