[dba-SQLServer] limit to records?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 7 19:02:35 CDT 2005

Here is a online almost terabyte database running on SQL Server you can
query from Access,
unfortunately you need academic permission to do large queries.
The total amount of data in the two databases is 818 GB,
and the total number of rows exceeds 3.4 billion.

But as of now it only maps 1/10 to 1/5 of sky area of Northern hemisphere

Sloan Digital Sky Survey
http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr1/en/

Database Physical and Logical design

http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr1/en/sdss/data/data.asp#databases

Microsoft SQL Server Size statement.

Microsoft® SQL Server" 2000 Meta Data Services uses storage provided by
a DBMS.
SQL Server 2000 imposes no practical limit on logical database size.
However there are probably physical limits with Partioned tables and
physical disk size.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/reposad/raarchitecture_8flf.asp

There are record limits to OLAP SQL Server databases something like 2^32
*128 * 65K
If you want to work out dimensions and cubes.