[dba-SQLServer] Weird Issue with SQL 2000

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 19 01:31:39 CDT 2005

Hi Arthur:

Not knowing the details of the issues I will have to start asking the basic
question like:

1. The server is named and assuming that a remote the computer on which the
remote SQL resides has a unique ip address/domain name?
2. Your domain server can be pinged?
	Ie. Ping MyAlias.MyDomain.com
3. Your SQL server is using the default port or/and that is specified in the
connection string? (1433)
4. The connection capabilities has been shut down due to some firewall
(software/hardware) on your client's site?
5. Have him manually enter the connection string in the EM. i.e.
MyAlias.MyDomain.com. He will then need the appropriate Username and
password to complete the connection.
6 The connection string could be something like:
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=MyAlias.MyDomain.com,1433; Network
Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=MyDatabase;User
ID=MyUsername;Password=MyPassword;" (Assuming ADO-OLE and your connection
port is 1433)

HTH
Jim