[dba-SQLServer] Re: Shameless Plug

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Mar 29 10:41:05 CST 2005

No beta is ready for production use! LOL. Many would argue, in fact,
that any software whose minor number is zero is not ready for production.

That said, the MySQL crew works hard on their product and issues
frequent updates. The big deal in version 5 is stored procedures +
views. While writing the e-book, we found a number of problems but I
trust that they will address them quickly. They have already addressed
several of them.

If you want to use MySQL for production, install version 4 on your
production box and version 5 on your development box. Use some front end
such as Access or the MySQL query manager so you can save your queries.
As you might guess, I'm kinda partial to Access. The point is, you want
a way to save your queries so that you can quickly turn them into sprocs
and views. Depending on the front end you want to go with, you can
design your strategy to maximize the payoff once you decide that version
5 is solid enough for production use.

Now all we have to do is persuade the MySQL people to implement
MS-SQL-style UDFs. That would be a real treat!