[dba-SQLServer] New SQL Server Registration problem

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:54:57 CST 2005

Dear Group,

I'm baffled. I have an Access 2000 ADP that connects to a certain SQL
Server database. I have an Access 2000 MDB that connects via ODBC to
the same SQL Server database. I have an Access 2003 ADP that connects
to the same database. I have an ASP.NET project that connects to the
same database.

My problem is that I can't seem to connect to the database using SQL
Server Enterprise Manager. I go to add a new Registration and up pops
the 'Registered SQL Server Properties' dialog box. I fill in the IP
address of the SQL Server and select the 'Use SQL Server
Authentication' button, and type in the Login Name and Password. When
I click OK I get the following message:

SQL Server Enterprise Manager
? SQL Server registration failed because of the connection failure
displayed below. Do you wish to Modify anyway?

Cannot open user default database. Login failed.

I've used Enterprise Manager to set up four other SQL Server
connections that all work fine. Any ideas why I can't get EM to create
a new registration?

--
Regards,

Steve Erbach