[dba-SQLServer] FW: FW: Element K Journal article

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Thu May 26 07:53:43 CDT 2005

The following came from a reader -- the reader is trying to adapt an Access
technique for SQL Server. Gustav was the technical end of this article and
his initial suggestion was to omit the AS keyword, but that didn't work.

Anybody else want to offer a suggestion?

Hi Susan,

I read with interest your articles each month that appear in Inside
Microsoft Access.  Although I have been doing advanced programming in Access
for about 10 years, each month I learn a new trick or two.  Most of the time
it's from one of your articles.  I just finished reading "Retrieve data from
a text file without attaching to or importing the file".  I tried your
examples and they work as listed.  I am actually trying to do the exact same
thing in SQL Server 2000 and also SQL Server CE.  I tried using the same
examples that I used in Access but on the SQL IN clause

select * from Test#csv] as t in '' [Text;DATABASE=E:\]

I get this error message.

"Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'in'."

In the IN-Less clause,

select *  from [Text;DATABASE=E:\Test.csv] as t

I get this error message.

"Invalid object name 'Text;DATABASE=E:\Test.csv'."

 Is there a similar syntax that works in SQL Server?

Thanks,

Fred