[dba-SQLServer] Inherited Permissions

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Thu Nov 3 22:13:32 CST 2005

SQL2000, AXP ade

I have two roles set up in SQL called ManagerGrp and StaffGrp each
with permissions for different sets of objects within a database.
I also have a user called TeamManager who needs access to both sets
of objects but has no permissions set directly.

My initial thought was to make StaffGrp a user of ManagerGrp with the
idea that the permissions from StaffGrp would be inherited by
ManagerGrp.  Then by making TeamManager a user of ManagerGrp,
TeamManager would inherit the permisions of both ManagerGrp and
StaffGrp.  However the permissions of StaffGrp were not inherited by
TeamManager.  It was not until I made TeamManager a user of both
Roles that they received permissions from both roles.

If permissions are not inherited by roles from other roles that are
set as users, then when would roles be made users of other roles?

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd
999 Moonshine Rd, RD 1