[dba-SQLServer] unable to begin a distributed transaction

Lavsa, Rich Rich_Lavsa at pghcorning.com
Mon Oct 3 10:16:47 CDT 2005

Hello all,

We have had oracle 8i, (8.1.7.4) for 3 years or so.  I was in the
process of building a small application that would periodically pull
data from our ERP system (oracle database) into SQL server 2K.  I set up
a Linked server, created a procedure, and (not to revisit all the little
issues..) I was done.

Now we've upgraded Oracle to 9i.  We were using Net8 as the oracle
client up until last week, of which all machines and servers were
upgraded to Net9.  Now I get the
'MSDAORA' was unable to begin a distributed transaction. [SQLSTATE
42000] (Error 7391), any time I try to change a view that is using
OPENQUERY to return data from Oracle.

I had a scheduled procedure running without any incident until we
updated the Oracle 9 client.  I tested the linked server, it does show
all the tables and views and If I create a new view or write an
OPENQUERY sql statement it all works however it will not allow me to
save the view nor will the procedure work any longer.

I did some research and found a few articles about "Oracle Manager for
MTS".  Even with some research that I did, I am not quite sure what this
is and if I even need it.
Anyone out there have any idea as to what my problem might be.
Thanks in Advance,

Rich