[dba-SQLServer] UTC Date Time Fields and Baan with SqlServer

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 8 17:44:25 CDT 2006

This line "They used to use standard time fields but now using UTC"
makes me think
that they are accepting data from multiple time zones and have
standardized the time of their SQL
Server on UTC Greenwich time. This way all their data input times are
the same, no matter
what time zone it is coming from. This quite common in large organizations.

The 4 hour time difference is correct as UTC is one hour
a head of  British Standard time and I'll bet you are running in
American EST timezone.
What you want to do is query your client machine for its local time and
subtract or add the difference
from UTC. So you will need code below. The date of a time zone DST
change is in an odd format in the registrty.

Have a look at the code in this basClock module Access97 mdb
It gets local machine time and UTC.
It handles a lot of the little glitches like daylight saving time switches
for example Europe switches DST a week before the US.
UTC time doesn't use DST and some US states don't either.
Windows local time handles most of these but not in weird
cases like Sydney Australia changing their time zone for
their Olympics for a month.

http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0051.htm

askolits at ot.com wrote:

>I'm working for a customer who has an MRP system called BAAN. All data
>tables are on SqlServer.
>

>For some reason, when we look at the data through SqlServer. All the times
>are 4 hours off. When we use their app, the time is correct.
>
>The question is, is it their app or a setting we need to set in SqlServer.
>The claim it's not there issue and they don't support direct access to the
>data through SQL Server.
>

>We have written custom reports to get the many reports their system doesn't
>provide.
>

>Any way to change SQLServer's time so we can fix this issue.
>
>Setting the Server's Region codes won't help us since the server is used for
>other things.
>
>I'm thinking there some type of parameter setting we can use.
>

>Note: They used to use standard time fields but now using UTC (makes sense?)
>

>Thanks,
>

>John Skolits

Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.