[dba-SQLServer] Specifying index file

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Aug 11 15:30:49 CDT 2006

Is it possible to specify the file that indexes go into to spread out the
processing load on the disk drives?  IOW I have 4 drives of 250gb each.  3
of them have data files that are approaching 100gb.  The fourth is only used
for the log file which so far is smallish since I am mostly doing bulk
inserts so far.  I do now need to build some additional fields and add
indexes on those fields.  Can I specify that the indexes go into a given
file on a given drive?  Or does SQL Server just put the index right in the
data files?