[dba-SQLServer] dba-SQLServer Digest, Vol 42, Issue 12

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Mon Aug 14 15:46:20 CDT 2006

Now this is Intelligent! I am most pleased. I have tried to introduce this convention to various Canadian organizations and invariably met hostile responses... but it seems the way to go, IMO. It's a drill-down operation.

I would like some input from people residing in those nether-worlds such as Singapore, Hong Kong and so on -- which seem not to have a CountryID or RegionID, but stand alone in the world as CityStates. Anyone here able to respond to this?

In terms of Access (not my concern in this thread), the question often arises, "How do I synchronize comboA with comboB, so that the selection in comboA refills the options in comboB?" By drilling down into addresses such as you suggest, this is trivial. I just wish that your average user would comprehend this strategy. For example, I have a list of about 10,000 cities in North America, all defined by their State/Province and Country. Select a County, I show you the regions. Select a region, I show you the Cities/Towns. The actual db contains only the City/TownID, since all the rest can be inferred.

The problem occurs with rural routes and so on (anything not directly connected to a city or town or village). Any ideas how to handle those?

TIA,
Arthur