[dba-SQLServer] Transferring a database to another SQL Server

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Sun Aug 27 16:04:10 CDT 2006

Have you setup security on the new box?

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of JWColby
Sent: Sunday, 27 August 2006 11:08 PM
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Cc: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [dba-SQLServer] Transferring a database to another SQL Server

I have just finished rebuilding a machine (new motherboard) and need to
transfer a large SQL Server database to that new server.  The two
servers can see each other (shared folders), but ...

I cannot register the other SQL Servers, getting an error "Login failed
for 'MachineName\Guest'.  I get this error on either machine when trying
to register the SQL Server on the other machine.  My login user /
password is the same on both machines.  Both databases were installed
using "Windows Authentication" rather than "SQL Server Authentication".

Any ideas?