[dba-SQLServer] [AccessD]TransferringadatabasetoanotherSQLServer

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Aug 28 16:38:08 CDT 2006

On 28 Aug 2006 at 11:03, JWColby wrote:

> If that is the case, then throwing out advice like "turn off simple file
> sharing" is inappropriate advice, at least without a "this will royally
> screw up your private workgroup file sharing (and not even get you what you
> are after)" warning.  Sorry if THAT sounds harsh, but I am NOT a Notwork
> Admin (nor are many others on this list), and apparently my workgroup file
> sharing IS SCREWED UP because I blithely followed "correct" advice.

Sorry, if this sounds harsh, but.

If you don't know the basics of network sharing and user management, you
shouldn't be trying to set up  multi-user or client-server based database
applications.

As I posted earlier:
"....3.	Click the View tab, and then de-select "Use Simple File Sharing"

Now you can set proper permissions on your resources and authenticate using
accounts with appropriate permissions."

If you don't understand the last part, you shouldn't be messing with the
first part.

This is an SQL Server list.  I, and apparently others, assumed that anyone
who had set up SQL Server installations using WIndows authentication would
have learnt  at least the basics of Windows network security.

Take a look around http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsfilesharing/
or spend ten minutes with Google and "Windows file sharing".

--
Stuart