[dba-SQLServer] SQL and Vista

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 20 16:58:04 CST 2006

Got this from SSWUG.org tip by Alexander Chigrik
Holy Compatibility Batman - SQL Server Express on Vista?

SQL Server 2005 Incompatibility Buzz
Wow.  The 'net is alive with a feeding frenzy about SQL Server 2005 Express
not working on Vista.  You would have thought it was found that hard disk
drives didn't work with Vista.  I haven't seen so much FUD in a
looooooong time.
First off, Vista isn't GA (General Availability - retail) and is only
starting to be considered
for deployment in the new year.  Second, there is already a service pack
out
for SQL Server Express that lets it work on Vista.  I know.  I've used
it.  (You can get it here)

Running SQL Server on "Microsoft Windows Server Longhorn" or Microsoft
Windows Vista
In an effort to provide customers with more secure products,
Microsoft Windows Server "Longhorn" and Microsoft Windows Vista
will only support SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=77674> or later when it becomes
available.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/sqlonvista.mspx

click on
SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ctp.mspx
SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 CTP (December 2006)
SQL Server 2005 Express Edition and Tools Service Pack 2 CTP (December
2006)

"If you're looking to run SQL Server Express on Windows Vista,
you'll need to have the service pack installed.  The service pack
to enable the balance of SQL Server 2005 will be released Q1 of 2007.
It's unfortunate to have to wait, but if you need to run it on your
 early installations of Vista, make sure you get the service packs."

Martin Reid wrote:

>Think its only the Express version.
>
>Martin
>
>Martin WP Reid