[dba-SQLServer] Find the second occurrence of a character in a string

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Thu Dec 21 14:00:05 CST 2006

I appreciate your point, but I'm still not certain of the best way to go with my question, which concerns the way to handle some unusual surnames.

van den Berq
la Flame
de la Vega
Ben Gurion

and any number of names that begin with "al". Or "da" as in Leonardo. My very limited Italian suggests that Leonardo was born in a town called Vinci.

So how does one sort such a list? On the capitalized word? On the first letter of the two or three words considered the surname?

Advice from Europeans, Asians, Africans, or even North Americans familiar with this problem, would be appreciated. I have no immediate problem that requires this solution. This is purely theoretical at the moment, but who knows, someday I may need the answer.

TIA,
Arthur