[dba-SQLServer] SQL - What's a null in Reporting Services)

Darren DICK darrend at nimble.com.au
Thu Jan 19 20:40:56 CST 2006

Hi Susan and Hi Eric
Many thanks
I used Coalesce in the underlying SQL

Many thanks

DD

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Darren DICK
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:17 PM
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [dba-SQLServer] SQL - What's a null in Reporting Services

Hello all

In Access to test for null and replace it with x I would do something like

Iif(isnull([SomeField]),"NothingThere","SomethingThere")

When I try this in a text box in reporting services it says

Replace Null with System.DBNull

So I did and now get the error...

dBNull is a type in system and cannot be used as an expression

<Sigh>

Anyone know what the correct syntax should be to test for Null and put in my own
value if true and

Leave the FieldValue if not true?

Many thanks

Darren