[dba-SQLServer] Remote Servers...

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:53:41 CST 2006

We have a remote server wich hosts our website, it also contains a sql
server and data we collect for our users filling out surveys.  I have a job
initiates a DTS job and collects the new data and transfers it inhouse (this
is initiated from an inhouse sql server).  I also have a report off an
in-house reporting services box that runs reports on the collected data, the
data is comming from 2 sources, the survey is from the remote sql server,
while the remaining data is from an internal sql server.  The issue we're
running into is that customers will fill out their survey and want to
instantly see the results.  Additionally they'll affect the other sources of
data run the report and are spoiled that the data is live.  MGMT likes the
data live, and thus I'm wondering how to approach the 1hr pull from the
remote sql server.

I'm considering adding a linked server and then when the report is ran, just
pull over the new data, but keep the 1hr snapshot... this way the data is
always current.  Anythoughts on this?

Thanks,

http://pcthis.blogspot.com |PC news with out the jargon!