[dba-SQLServer] Get my data Informix-SQLServer

Mark A Matte markamatte at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 15:28:28 CDT 2006

Hello All,

I have SQLServer 7 and I have a link to an Informix db via ODBC.  There are
over 6 million rows.  I don't have a 24hour connection( and what I do have
is slower than dirt).  The only reason to move it to SQL is to do wildcards
searches on a text field.  If I use the DTS wizard to pull this in...I'm not
sure it would run in the 10 hour window I have...and second...if I cancel
half way through...I don't get to keep the first half.

When I was pulling this same information into access...I used a counter, ran
my SQL for ID 1 to 100,000, looped back to beginning, added 100,000 to my
criteria, and ran my SQL again.  At anytime I lost my connection I only lost
the current 100K group it was pulling.

I have a fairly strong background in SQL, Access, and VBA...but SQL Server
is new to me.  Any suggestions would be great...so is solution above used in
Access a likely candidate for the scenario, and if so...where is SQLServer
would I create/execute it from (Stored Proc)?...and if not what should I do.

Summary, I need to bring 6mil records from Informix to SQL to do wild card
searches I have an ODBC connection to Informix...and SQLServer is local.

Many thanks for any ideas/direction.

Thanks,

Mark A. Matte