[dba-SQLServer] HELP!!! sQL SERVER WON'T INSTALL

Kath Pelletti kp at sdsonline.net
Wed Mar 1 16:08:43 CST 2006

I'll have a look at vmware - thanks for the tip.

After 3 days I finally got SQL Server 2005 working.

I discovered the following:

- I was running Windows XP without service pack 2. SQL Server 2005 (and Vis
STudio 2005) require SP2, but when I installed sp2 IT BROKE the COM+
applications in component services.

I know that for sure because I restored to a ghost image with Win SP1,
checked the Component services list, they were all there, installed SP2, and
bang - they were gone.

Yet on my Del laptop (new ) Windows sp2 runs fine with SQl Server. Anyway, I
bought a new off the shelf copy of Windows which includes SP2 and started
again.

That solved (yahoo!) the COM error, but threw new errors. In the end my tip
there was to install SQL Server component by component, rather than all in
one hit (ie. first the database services, then trhe workstation components,
then analysis services, reporting services, and integration separately.)

That worked and thought I would post for the benefit of anyone else out
there having problems.

It's a b$#@! to install and going by the number of hits on SQl Server 2005
install errrors with google, I'd say that most people will have trouoble
with it unless their Windows setup is very clean. A patched Win XP SP2 is
not the same as a new off the shelf Win XP SP2 going by this.

Kath