[dba-SQLServer] Simple Install to run SQL2000 Database

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Wed Oct 4 13:06:57 CDT 2006

Group,

I have a client who wants to see the progress of a development
project we are writing.  The database is SQL2000.  He doesn't have
SQL2000 on his computer.  All we need is to be able to have something
on his computer so that I can install a runtime of the Access XP ade
and he can use it.  This is only a temporary solution until he gets a
server with the full SQL2000 installed on it.

Since the temporary computer will not be accessible via a network,
and it will not have a full version of Access XP on it, I am not sure
that even if we got SQL2000 installed, we could connect to the
database without coding the connection string (which is another matter).

Back to my original question - Is there a free version of SQL2000
available, or will the free version of SQL2005 run SQL2000
databases.  If so, does it have a tool like Enterprise manager for
restoring datafiles etc?