[dba-SQLServer] The log file for TempDB is full

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 12 12:14:20 CDT 2006

I am getting a notice that the log file is full (and in fact the disk is out
of space).  The warning says to backup the transaction log for the database
to free up some space.  When I go in to EM and try to backup the TempDB, the
transaction log is not selectable (is grayed out) and if I try to backup the
Tempdb itself I get a message that I can't backup the TempDB.

What gives and how do I get out?

I have a nice raid 5 terabyte data partition and a 400gb log partition, but
I initially set up SQL Server to place all of its stuff out on the D drive,
which is only about 250g and is not RAID.  Sigh.

What do I do to back up this file so that I can continue?