[dba-SQLServer] sp_configure question

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 3 12:49:08 CDT 2006

A friend in the phone business said the following:

In order to get more phones and DSL connection in an area, without having to
add more lines, phone (...and cable too) companies insert compressors and
amplifiers on the lines. This process only works to a point but finally the
connection degrades to a position where the signals start dropping. By
putting in a higher quality modem that can compensates for the line
degradation can resolve the internet issues. But when this is necessary the
whole system, including phones have become extremely unstable.

That is why your phones are not working and the modem, that use to work now
does not. That is why the phone company, that shall not be named,
arbitrarily removed your other internet connection when you were upgraded,
just to give them some breathing room. They are over-booking installations
before the supporting hardware is in place.

All this is because of poor planning, being super cheap and never wanting
admit it is their fault... as they would then be legally on the hook to
upgrade them selves and compensate their customers... and that is never
going to happen.

There is simply not enough signal strength on the line to your house and
your provider wants you to pay for upgrading their infrastructure.

HTH
Jim