[dba-SQLServer] Restoring a master db

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:24:58 CDT 2007

Today I had a server go down, and my sysadmin had to rebuild the OS.
After re-installing SS2k SP4, I went ahead and placed the server in
single user mode and restored the original master db, and also went
ahead and restored the msdb (for scheduling task I had).  One thing
that did not go smoothly was the userid's that were restored via
Master db restore.  i've had to re-create the windows users and simply
re-type the Sql users.  I don't know why this happend, it almost was
as if the users were orphaned.

I'm posting here in case others have ran into this problem... I was
quite at a loss since I didn't quite know what to even google for...
the closest match was when you migrate users. and the point I guess is
that I wasn't they were already on the same server (master db).

any ideas?

:) thanks,