[dba-SQLServer] Just an FYI

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Dec 8 16:33:23 CST 2007

And I am not expecting one, from you or anyone else on this list.  I think
that Arthur has presented a possible solution.  I think I am going to break
this down into 6 or so different result tables, each with data from a
consecutive range of fields across the big (wide) table.  I need to build a
little "query generator" anyway to write queries for me, and if I add a
field to my field lookup table to hold which vertical table the field is
held in, then the query generator can write the query to pull data from the
correct table.  That has some advantages and few disadvantages.  The storage
tables hold fewer data elements so the scan for any given field is
automatically faster.  It turns out that the data is grouped such that my
client asks for fields "close to each other", i.e. they tend to come from
the same survey.

Thinking about it in that manner I think I can get this thing pretty fast.
Essentially the wide table gets riced and diced and "partitioned"
vertically, each vertical partition being N fields wide, but with the
advantage that the resulting "vertical" tables hold only the records that
actually contain data elements.

I am running a program I wrote that builds up this vertical table.  I just
told it to stop at field 83 which is the end of a logical group.  That will
be the end of one table.  The next table will start at field 84 and go to...
not sure yet but the same idea.  I think this will work...