[dba-SQLServer] Clustered index

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Dec 8 20:55:10 CST 2007

I have a table with physical fields PKID, FldNameID, Data.  I want to create
a clustered index on that based on the field order FldNameID, Data, PKID.
Is the index based on the physical order of the fields or the order of the
fields specified when you create the index?

IOW I went into the widget that creates indexes, specified the fields in the
order I desire them in the index, and checked the Clustered check box.  It
certainly appears that the index will create by the order I specified them
in the index widget (which is what I want).

But is that true?