[dba-SQLServer] Clustered index

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 23:16:57 CST 2007

A clustered index physically re-orders the table into the specified
sequence. Given the size of your table, this may take some time.

The point of a clustered index (AFAIK) is to group objects in contiguous
proximity for the most rapid retrieval of proximate objects. For example,
given Customers and Orders, a covering index might be clustered so as to
guarantee that Customer X's Orders are available within a single page or
perhaps two, thus causing minimal disk hits.

If this sort of thing is not important, then clustered indexes are beside
the point, and create needless index-creation time.

A.