[dba-SQLServer] Interfacing MDB to SQL Server to user groups

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 07:36:44 CST 2007

John

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/77/10/2.html

should cover it

Martin

Martin WP Reid
Training and Assessment Unit
Riddle Hall
Belfast

tel: 02890 974477

________________________________

From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com on behalf of JWColby
Sent: Thu 11/01/2007 13:21
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [dba-SQLServer] Interfacing MDB to SQL Server to user groups

One of my databases interfaces to a third party SQL Server.  I need to link
to a view in the database, and then display that view in a subform.  This
all works for me and my client "boss", since we both have administrator
rights, but regular users of the database get "no permissions" kinds of
error messages when they try to view the data.

Is it possible to have a Windows (domain) user group control access to such
a view?  My concern is that the client already has to deal with adding users
to the domain groups, and I don't want to add another SQL Server layer to
that maintenance.  If SQL Server can say "anyone belonging to Windows user
group XXX can access the view, that problem would be avoided.

If it can be done, can you provide a brief description of how.  This is an
existing database, controlled by a third party (payroll service), and I am
not looking for the nitty gritty, just a generalized one paragraph
explanation if that is possible.