[dba-SQLServer] Holidays by Nation and State/Province/Canton/etc.

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Jan 12 21:28:31 CST 2007

Actually, it's the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the
northern hemisphere's vernal equinox.

However, the "full moon" and "vernal equinox" are not the astronomical
ones, they are simplified ecclesiastical ones.

The standard way to calcuate Easter doesn't  use information about full
moons or equinoxes at all. It's called "the algorithm of Oudin" and relies
solely on integer arithmetic on the year number to derive the month and day
of Easter Sunday.

For all the gory details, see http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/easter.html

--
Stuart