[dba-SQLServer] Windows 2003 x64; SQL Server 2005 X64

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jul 13 16:51:47 CDT 2007

Robert,

So it is really tough to say how much comes from 64 bit software and how
much from new hardware.  Moving from a PIII 1 GHz 4 gig ram to a modern dual
core, probably close to 4 or 5 GHz equivalent, plus 8 gig memory, it might
ALL be from the better hardware.

I am going to have to try myself though.  I am waiting (impatiently) for AMD
to release their "true quad core" processor to try to get a feel for how it
competes with the currently available quad core from Intel.  Once I can get
that sense I will be making a purchase decision on a new server to run x64
bit OS and SQL Server.  I am running queries on 50 million record tables
with anywhere from 2 to 20 or more fields in where clauses, joined to
similar sized tables doing wheres on (typically) a zip field.  The result
sets are then often counted, and sometimes address data is pulled into
result sets for export.  My query run times are just horrendous.  I can't
help but feel that if I could run x64 and 32 GByte of ram vs. x32 and 4 GB
ram (current config) that the difference would be worth the expense.  I
simply cannot do that though without the x64 OS / SQL Server.

To some extent I am going to be in the same boat re hardware vs. software
speed increase though.  I can possibly run Windows Server x64 on my current
hardware, but that hardware is a dual core AMD limited to 8 gb of RAM.  So
while even that (moving to 8 gb) would no doubt make a difference it would
probably not be enough difference to be worth doing all by itself,
especially given the cost of the software.  OTOH if I could go to a dual
processor quad core with 32 GB (or even 64 gb), THAT should open things up
for me.

And interestingly, the cost of the hardware to do that is reasonable, at
least "build it yourself".  I can build a system for about $4500 for a dual
processor quad core Intel with 32 gb of RAM (no disks / raid controller -
which I already have) and around $7000 with 64 gb of ram.  Of course that is
WITHOUT the X64 OS and SQL Server.

Do you know how much you paid for the X64 software?