[dba-SQLServer] Wizards, books, etc.

David Lewis DavidL at sierranevada.com
Thu May 17 12:41:36 CDT 2007

Hi John:

Re: "time to get past the wizards" -- very true.  They are great, but as
soon as one gets past 123 (which your project passed long ago) they are
more trouble than they are worth.

Re:  "gotta get a book" -- Ken Henderson's books are great, Itzak ben
Gani, Joe Celko, and of course the one at your fingertips (BOL!!)...  In
addition I highly recommend a sql server magazine subscription,
sswug.org, and sqlservercentral.com.

I started in Access ~10 years ago, then was compelled to move to sql
server ~7.  I was used to building queries in Access' gui, and
absolutely hated (and was incapable of) writing raw sql.  However, once
I made the plunge and weaned myself from access, I found there were many
many more possibilities that were not possible in the gui.  By that I
mean there are many t-sql structures that the gui cannot display, and
because I had limited myself to the gui I had never learned them.  Sort
of like playing the piano with two fingers, then suddenly discovering
you have 8 more.  It takes some practice to bring the other 8 into play,
but once you do there is no going back.

I realize it is hard to do all this while under the pressure of
deadlines, but hang in there.

Message: 4