[dba-SQLServer] Wizards, books, etc.

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 17 13:40:48 CDT 2007

Thanks for the encouragement.

One of the problems that many of us face is the sheer diversity of the job
spec.  I have to this point worked mostly in Access because my job was
delivering database applications to small companies as a consultant.  I do
not "have a job" or "have a boss" I have many different jobs and many
different bosses.

I happened to get a client that wanted a database done is SQL Server,
importing a huge (to me, coming from Access) address list into SQL Server.
It slowly over time morphed (as these things tend to do) and the complexity
morphed with it.  It is no longer "just a list" maintained in SQL Server but
moving towards a full blown application intended to "merge" multiple lists
into a single master name / address system, complete with time stamps for
when a person lived at a specific location, and the ability to export /
import all the data to a system for Address validation, and another system
for building queries against the data.

And so here I am struggling to learn a very complex tool (SQL Server) which
I never really had a need for until this specific job came along.  And of
course VB.Net in order to take the user interface and utilities out of
Access and into an environment where the application can breath.  I am
essentially starting from scratch in both tools.  And of course I am
building servers, installing OSs and SQL Server and Visual Studio and... all
the rest of the stuff needed...

A lot to learn, quickly, and yet still supporting all of my existing Access
clients too.  That is one reason that I try to use the wizards where I can,
to stretch out the learning curve a bit.

I have always been a "Yes, I can do that" kind of guy, and I will, but it is
stressful ATM.