[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server versus Oracle

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:29:01 CDT 2007

I work for a company that has both Oracle and SQL Server databases.
Both can handle large databases. Most reporting things can work with
either. Oracle generally runs in a UNIX environment although I think
there are also Windows versions available too. SQL Server needs
Windows based servers to run I think. Having both requires 2 sets of
database administrators and if you have Oracle On UNIX and SQL Server
on Windows server, then you need system administrator type people that
can deal with both of those worlds. If you need to you need to but if
you don't then you are going to be having two sets of geeks where you
could get away with one.  Or have a backup set for the one platform
you could be using. People that work with one or the other usually
think that the one they use is superior to the other and that the othe
is junk. That is how it is here. Our SQL Server DBA thinks everything
else is bad and the Oracle DBA's think that SQL Server is terrible.

GK

On 5/31/07, Elizabeth.J.Doering at wellsfargo.com