[dba-SQLServer] OT a bit :)

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Aug 20 17:46:56 CDT 2008

Flame bait! Flame bait!

Are you looking to start a war :-)

It's pronounce Squirrel
http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2004/02/11/pronunciation_of_sql/

Personally I always spell it out - which happens to be in accordance with this point of view:

Jim Melton, editor of the ISO SQL-92 standard, covered this in his book
_Understanding the New SQL_ (Morgan Kaufmann):

"1.2 What is SQL?
SQL (correctly pronounced "ess cue ell," instead of the somewhat common
"sequel"), is a data sublanguage ..."

He also explains 'Structured Query Language' is archaic:
"Many books and article "define" SQL by parenthetically claiming the letters
stand for Structured Query Language. While this was true for the original
prototypes, it is not true of the standard..."

'Structured Query Language' and 'sequel' are pre-cursors to today's SQL
standard, just as SGML is a pre-cursor to XML.

--
Stuart

On 20 Aug 2008 at 9:03, Susan Harkins wrote:

> A recruiter called me the other day and she said "sequel" server instead of
> S-Q-L Server. It sounded so nice. :) Funny, she didn't sound as old as me!
> ;)
>
> Susan H.

Stuart Mclachlan