[dba-SQLServer] XP adp and SQL2005

Robert Robert at webedb.com
Mon Dec 29 09:12:06 CST 2008

		Depending on the GUI for this, the ODBC driver uses the Timestamp column to determine if a change has been made.

You cannot include the Timestamp column in the insert statement. You need to either rewrite the INSERT or, do not
bind the timestamp column when using it in the GUI. So, in your case, do not include the timestamp column in the
control on the ADP form.

		 > > Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:30:28 +1300
> > To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com; dba-SQLServer at databaseadvisors.com
> > From: newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
> > Subject: [dba-SQLServer] XP adp and SQL2005
> >
> > I have a view being used for a subform. It combines 4 tables but
> > only one has data which is changed. It is a 'many' table. All of
> > the tables have primary keys.
> >
> > The table being edited has a timestamp column created when the
> > database was upsized from Access XP to SQL2000. The database was
> > then scripted and created on SQL2005.
> >
> > When I try to add a record I get the following error:
> >
> > Cannot insert an explicit value into a timestamp column. Use INSERT
> > with a column list to exclude the timestamp column, or insert a DEFAULT.
> >
> > Because I am using a bound form I do not have the option of a column
> > list (I don't think). If I remove the timestamp field from the view
> > then I don't even get an option to add a record. With the timestamp
> > included I can add the data for a new record, but just can't save it.
> >
> > I am not sure what is meant in the error message by "Insert a
> > default". I tried adding a textbox to the form for the timestamp
> > field and put DEFAULT in the default property but this didn't work.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > David Emerson
> > Dalyn Software Ltd