[dba-SQLServer] SSIS, SQL Server Integration Services, DTS

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jan 18 09:38:05 CST 2008

Hi Arthur

Thanks. I think I can stick with DTS as the tasks will be quite simple.
But where do I go? I located this:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components

The Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Data Transformation Services (DTS) package designer is a design tool used by developers and administrators of SQL Server 2005 servers to edit and maintain existing DTS packages until they can be upgraded or recreated in the SQL Server 2005 Integration Services package format. After installing this download, SQL Server 2005 users can continue to edit and maintain existing DTS packages from the Object Explorer in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio and from the Execute DTS 2000 Package Task Editor in Business Intelligence Development Studio, without needing to reinstall the SQL Server 2000 tools. The DTS package designer in this download was formerly accessed from the Data Transformation Services node in SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager.

and downloaded and installed the file "SQLServer2005_DTS.msi".

But now what? Close reading reveils "existing", so can't a new DTS package be created?
I relaunched my "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express" but the only item regarding DTS was found under Providers: DTSPackageDSO ...

/gustav

>>> fuller.artful at gmail.com 18-01-2008 16:21:16 >>>
Gustav,

You can still run DTS pkgs in SQL 2005 but yes, DTS has been deprecated. MS
bought DTS from a third party way back when (1998) and rolled it into SQL
2000, but then rewrote it from the ground up for SQL 2005. There is still
DTSRun in 2005 and also a migration wizard to get you from A to B, but DTS
is, as they say, deprecated. (That's kind of like decapitated but more
graceful.)

For your immediate client's needs, you have a few alternatives. Stick with
DTS and do the imports there; create ODBC links and do a classic
Access-style import. For starters. More if required.

hth,
A.