[dba-SQLServer] Truncating Temporary Tables

Asger Blond ab-mi at post3.tele.dk
Tue Jul 8 14:13:26 CDT 2008

David,

Yes, it's possible to truncate a TEMPORARY TABLE, but it is not possible to
truncate a TABLE VARIABLE which is what you are using...
I don't think you can reseed the identity value of a column in a table
variable.
Using a temporary table instead you can try this reseeding:

CREATE TABLE #ttmpGoalIns (RowID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL, GoalID int,
Description varchar(100), GoalAmt money DEFAULT (0) )
INSERT #ttmpGoalIns (GoalID,Description) values(10,'a')
INSERT #ttmpGoalIns (GoalID,Description) values(20,'b')
SELECT * FROM #ttmpGoalIns
TRUNCATE TABLE #ttmpGoalIns
INSERT #ttmpGoalIns (GoalID,Description) values(30,'c')
SELECT * FROM #ttmpGoalIns --> RowID reseeded to 1
DROP TABLE #ttmpGoalIns

Asger