[dba-SQLServer] Locking Discussion

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Sun Jul 13 11:26:20 CDT 2008

To everyone:

Several weeks ago there was a protracted 'discussion' about this issue.
While I skimmed the discussion I never did see anyone provide an answer to
the question, "How can I prevent data conflicts in SQL Server?"

Today I started reading my copy of Mastering SQL Server 2005 Express
Edition, coauthored by Susan Harkins and Mike Gunderloy.  News to me was
that SQL Server has it's own quite sophisticated and flexible locking
mechanism (see Chapter 21 - Locking).  From page 477: "What this means to
you as an application developer is that you almost never have to worry about
locking."

I'm just getting started upsizing an Access app, and would like to hear some
discussion on this and on how this locking mechanism impacts your
development of 'unbound' or 'bound' Access FE applications.

Thanks!
Dan