[dba-SQLServer] Locking Discussion

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 13 14:43:25 CDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Dan Waters
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:13 PM
To: 'Discussion concerning MS SQL Server'
Subject: Re: [dba-SQLServer] Locking Discussion

Jim - I am NOT arguing for bound/unbound forms.  Let that go.

> That was not my intention... just a heads up.

What I had never heard of before was that SQL Server has its own mechanism
to prevent data conflicts.  The past discussions had never mentioned that.
And the whole central point of all those discussions was how to prevent data
conflicts with unbound forms - no one even mentioned that SQL Server already
does this.  Read chapter 21 - then you'll see what I just learned is already
done and can be done.

> That is the way all DBs work today. In over 10 years of working with MS
SQL and Oracle, I have never had an unresolved data issue... but I have
heard, in very special circumstances they can happen... But I have no
personal experience with that.

What I was hoping to get a discussion on was if anyone was actively using
the different isolation levels that can be managed by a FE application, and
how people where doing that, what their results were, etc, etc.

> I have been mostly working with web-based applications lately but there
are a host documentation out there. The only item that I know of is a
article I wrote a few yeasr back on using an Access FE and MS SQL BE. See
article:
http://www.databaseadvisors.com/newsletters/newsletter112003/0311UnboundRepo
rts.asp

I hope this sheds some light on the subject at hand.

Thanks,
Dan