[dba-SQLServer] Horizontally Partitioned Views - your thoughts?

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au
Fri Jul 18 01:31:15 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I have been reading about Horizontally Partitioned Views and their use in speeding up a query, especially if only working with a sub set of the orginal data.  This sort of thing seems to suit some of my requirement and the theory sounds good at least - although the text I am reading is a bit vauge on the actual parameters (for example, They state this is good for very large tables of data, just what is considered to be a "very large table" - 100,000 rows, 1,000,000 rows 10,000,000 rows, 5000 rows? is not clear).

Anyway.  Does any of you folks use this approach?  and in your real world experience at what point does it start to become worthwhile to use Horizontally Partitioned Views rather than a plain ol vanilla table?

Just curious.

Cheers
Darryl.

This email and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential information and are intended for the named addressee only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this e-mail has been sent to you in error. It is your responsibility to check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses.  No warranty is made that this material is free from computer virus or any other defect or error.  Any loss/damage incurred by using this material is not the sender's responsibility.  The sender's entire liability will be limited to resupplying the material.