[dba-SQLServer] Must Relating Fields Have Different Names?

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Wed Jul 30 16:36:03 CDT 2008

I just went through my first shot at upsizing an mdb using SSMA.  SSMA
changed all the foreign key names to something different.  In Access, I've
been keeping the Foreign Key field names identical to the field it is
related to for ease of programming.  I often need to be explicit about which
table the field is in, but not a big deal.

What would be a big deal for me is to change all the foreign keys to unique
names!  Then, instead of 'MainID = " & txtMainID, txtMainID could be equal
to a variety of different field names.

Are different names required in SQL Server?  Or is SSMA just trying to be
'helpful'?

Thanks!
Dan