[dba-SQLServer] SQL to create Integer Random

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Mar 24 10:55:43 CDT 2008

It has to be permanent random number.  I have to select the top N records
but they have to be random records within the table.  I also have to date
stamp the records selected to indicate that they have been selected and on
which date.

The way I normally attack this is to create a random int field and a
SelectedDate field, and populate the random int field.  I then update the
top N date field (sorted by random int field where date = null).  I then
select those with today's data and ship them out, but ordered by Zip / +4.

Mailing label orders.