[dba-SQLServer] Copy a database using Elizabeth's suggestion plus parameters

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Mar 27 10:45:38 CDT 2008

Hi Eric

I know, but here we just wish to create a copy of an existing template database. No "backup to a safe place", no volume data, no speed issue, but - and that's the big difference from a normal backup/restore job - a new command every time it is called.

So instead of all these parameters just build the command string that is needed while you have VB.Net or Access or whatever running - as a master controller copying files, sending e-mails, and creating Excel files - and push that command to the server engine. I know most of it can be done within SQL Server, but this is where I understand John: why not use the environment and languages you are familiar with? You will, anyway, need some simple GUI to type in start parameters and to read or print result codes or the like and pop a messagebox in case of an  error.

/gustav

>>> ebarro at verizon.net 27-03-2008 16:06:38 >>>
Gustav,

.NET is not the tool to use for backing up and restoring SQL databases.
Granted, you may find solutions out there that do that it won't be optimal.
Besides, the tool is already there for you to use. Just use it.

I would use .NET as a UI to call the sprocs but not everything can be done
using .NET. It's just as bad as when the *priests* insist that SQL is the
end all and be all and that you'll go to HELL if you don't do it the TSQL
way.

Eric