[dba-SQLServer] Being helpful

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 27 12:16:49 CDT 2008

Hear hear.  And remember that sometimes just giving a person a fish is all
they really need.  Not everyone needs to learn to fish, or at least they do
not need to learn all the advanced techniques.

I am a programmer and I love programming, but I am not heavily involved in
SQL Server.  All I need is a solution and a few light reading tips on how
and why.  If the solution is at all readable I can look at it and learn what
it is doing, but it is often the case that I would NEVER find that solution
on my own (and I have always tried).  And if it is too complex, then my eyes
glaze over and I just move on to the next message.

I read every post to this board, every day.  Most of them cause my eyes to
glaze over, but I am here, silently reading.  I was trying to do my entire
project in .Net, then I realized that I could do some of the stuff much more
efficiently (and perhaps in some cases ONLY) using SPs and UDFs, so I
started reading up on them and got a bunch working on my own.  Much of my
frustrations come from switching from a development environment like .Net or
Access to the query editor in SQL Server.  Even in the relatively basic
Access we have modules and classes, intellisense, syntax checking, error
handlers, compile time errors that actually mean something and so forth.
What a jarring contrast to switch to SQL Server query editor.

But I am making progress.