[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server not in list of servers

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 13 11:10:57 CDT 2008

I just upgraded Stonehenge, my main server to Windows 2003 x64 / SQL
Server x64.  This morning I tried to do a copy database, which I have
done dozens of times before and now it says that the "destination server
is not running", the destination server being (default).

Further if I go into the list of servers combo, either source or
destination, it does not show Stonehenge in the list of servers, though
it does show Stonehenge / SQL Express and M90.  To my knowledge M90 (my
laptop) is not running SQL Server at the moment.  So the

So it appears that the list of available servers is not correct.  I
thought that the SQL Browser service was responsible for finding
instances of SQL Server, and that service is running.

Any idea what might be going on or how to determine what is going on?