[dba-SQLServer] Views

James Barash James at fcidms.com
Wed Oct 8 14:04:21 CDT 2008

Sorry to jump in in the middle but I have done some testing using Selects
from Views with Where clauses using pass-though queries in Access and, at
least in that case, the filtering is done on the SQL Server and only the
results are passed back to the client. The problem is you need to modify the
SQL of the query to change the where clause.
The way I tested this was to run the SQL Profiler on the Server and then
open the query in Access. That way you can see exactly what the SQL Server
is executing.
I use Access to run reports against SQL Server and found this works pretty
well. I also use stored procedures the same way if I need more complicated
queries or need to manipulate the data for the reports.

James Barash