[dba-SQLServer] ASP to 64-bit

Mike Tope mike.tope at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Sep 15 19:27:55 CDT 2008

Dear List
Wonder if anyone else has come up against this and can give me a pointer.
I'm normally a lurker, and usually well behind the times - I only get to
this email late at night (in London) so don't expect instant conversation.

Anyway, there exist several SQL 2000 databases using ASP front ends (I
didn't write them). They run on the same server as the Internet Information
Server serving them. Our office in Aberdeen has kindly chosen to install a
64-bit operating system, and install SQL 2005. Obviously, the test database
doesn't work.

First advice I saw was to change the connection string to use SQLOLEDB. This
enabled the front screen to open, which uses a Set rs=OpenRecordset
construction.
However, the later screens where rs=cmd.Execute was used, failed, and I saw
pointers suggesting that the parameters object needed to be overtly
declared. Not that the particular page had parameters, but anyway that was
going to involve recoding some hundreds of ASP files.

I learnt that it was possible to enable 32-bit apps within 64-bit IBIS by
running a single vbs command in the Admin web site utility - this is now
done. I can connect to the first page using a DSN equivalent to the original
but set up in odbcad32.exe in the SysWoW64 folder rather than control panel,
Admin Tasks, ODBC.

But it falls down at the same point - setting a recordset to cmd.Execute
gives me a server error 500. I could recode around the Selects, but what
about the Inserts, Modifies and Deletes ? VBscript is of course not 32-bit
enabled so my testing options are limited.

Am I missing something obvious ? I can't entertain the idea of rewriting the
entire set.

Regards
Mike Tope