[dba-SQLServer] Stored Procedures - How can the code be protected?

Borge Hansen pcs.accessd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 04:45:10 CDT 2009

Hi all,

How do I protect code in a Stored Procedure from being looked at, messed
with, lifted out and used by others - not authorized to do so?

I've read you can encrypt SP code - but that there are easy ways to get back
the code in a readable form.

Then there is the possbility of creating the SP in an CLR assemby:
"embedding" the SP in C# code and ending up with the SP in a .dll file -
etc... I think they are called "managed stored procedures"

Question:
Is this the way to fully protect / secure the SP code from the eyes of
others??

If so, does anyone know of a few good links that will get me up to speed in
writing and presenting Stored Procedures in a SQL db as CLR assemblies -
"Managed Stored Procedures" ?

I have VS2008 up and running finally  ... and SQL2005 ...

I should add that I have read about .NET but never really gotten down to
writing code using Visual Studio and the .net platform -

regards,
borge